Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't push customers one way or the other either....but...as I stated, I TIG everything, MS or Moly.

Monte

Im curious as to why M/S cages are TIG'ed. The test of a weld is that when you try to pull it apart, the material around it fails before the weld. Since a MIG weld has a larger radius than a TIG you end up with a larger surface area and (theoretically) a stronger weld. Is it for looks? A good TIG weld is usually nicer looking, but it is usually easier to get a MIG gun into the cramped areas, and you don't have to deal with trying to operate the pedal with your knee, etc. Keep in mind, I am asking this as an honest question; I know that you are a very competent builder and am not trying to insult you.

A few of us here at BGR can make just as nice a weld with a mig as they can with a tig.It's just a little bigger weld.MS cages are usually .135 thick so when you weld two pieces of .135 material you want at least .270+- of weld width and at least the same weld thickness of the the material .135+- at the crown.These specs are from the Steamfitters weld testing for power plants and pressure vessels. But then what in hell do I know,I was only certified in only 5 states for bridge and structural and heavy equipment modification and repair.I was a student of the late Art Livinston one of the best in the business.I didn't take the test for nucular power plants.

Nice resume, but IMO you didn't answer his question.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.