Quote:

Quote:

I don't push customers one way or the other either....but...as I stated, I TIG everything, MS or Moly.

Monte

Im curious as to why M/S cages are TIG'ed. The test of a weld is that when you try to pull it apart, the material around it fails before the weld. Since a MIG weld has a larger radius than a TIG you end up with a larger surface area and (theoretically) a stronger weld. Is it for looks? A good TIG weld is usually nicer looking, but it is usually easier to get a MIG gun into the cramped areas, and you don't have to deal with trying to operate the pedal with your knee, etc. Keep in mind, I am asking this as an honest question; I know that you are a very competent builder and am not trying to insult you.

A few of us here at BGR can make just as nice a weld with a mig as they can with a tig.It's just a little bigger weld.MS cages are usually .135 thick so when you weld two pieces of .135 material you want at least .270+- of weld width and at least the same weld thickness of the the material .135+- at the crown.These specs are from the Steamfitters weld testing for power plants and pressure vessels. But then what in hell do I know,I was only certified in only 5 states for bridge and structural and heavy equipment modification and repair.I was a student of the late Art Livinston one of the best in the business.I didn't take the test for nucular power plants.