So like I said I love geeking out on the finer points- how big of a straw to have sticking up into my tin can etc. unfortunately today was a bust. I have the worst luck with chassis dynos- last time my car drove up on the wheels my fuel pump crapped the bed as soon as I was all tied down and ready. I had to push it down and come back a few days later to throw a fuel pump on it.

This time it wasn't enough to have all my tools and tuning items carefully packed, oil changed, valves run. I had modest goals and thought I was ready, but nope murphy came into play like always. We plugged the dyno's WB into my bung just past the collector and got started. I set the idle to 13 just for starters and went to get a baseline on my T-slot cruise AFR, doing 35 in 2nd gear, making like 15hp according to the dyno.

All the sudden the AFR went dead lean, 19.x, and stayed there. Dyno op said either exhaust gasket is beat and sucking air, or a misfire is shooting raw fuel.

I grabbed a laser thermometer and started getting readings off the header tubes (TTI double ceramic). 330, 180, 330, 345, wait- 180°? I shut her down and pulled the plug and it was slightly damp with fuel.

Ugh. Cyls 3 & 4 were cooler and misfiring. I sprayed them with ether, blew them dry, and tried again, this time laying off the acc. pump before cranking. It did the same thing.

It's just a normal setback but I had 1yr old firecore wires, the analog msd 6aL and pro billet distributor and blaster II coil, and new autolite 3924 plugs.

I usually feed my edelbrock heads champ rc12yc so I'll try that first, followed by swapping wires, then coil, then detailing the distributor (they get oxidized), then a new ign. box, then if that doesn't work I'm gonna set the car on fire and push it into the river.

Anyway if you read this far you have a high tolerance for complaining. I drove the car to the body shop where they have my hood- I need a week off from tuning. Hopefully I will come back fresh and organized. It's funny- driving there from the dyno the car felt pretty strong- no pinging, good power. I was beating on it a tiny bit to try and get the rings seated. I had to hop out and raise the idle from 900 to 1100 so it didn't load up and want to die at stops, but I don't think I'm gonna be too far out of tune when I get the ign sorted.

So thats how dyno day went (didn't go). Now back to discussing proper PV opening and PVCR sizing- my 2¢ is that cars should have personality and there's more than one way to skin that cat based on driving style and drivetrain setup.