Quote:

think it's really necessary?

As I mentioned earlier I have experience with a setups very similar....Same heads, same cam, with the older style of the pistons you are using. Same specs, different ring pack.

Im not gonna say to not not do the grinding...but I will say with the motor that had basically the same compression on paper (10.25ish), and cam...with around .055 quench I never heard an ounce of detonation. Upon tear down, pistons showed zero issues either...

The same pistons are in my car with the same heads, but no longer using the MP 509. I have a Engle grind on a 106, which doesnt help the detonation issue. Quench is in the high .040s. I can get by with 87 in the cooler months. I have 91 in it right now, but have yet to hear any audible detonation. No hard start issues or any signs of preignition.

Conversely, I had a set of 452s on a flat top motor that had about 10.15 comp. No quench.
Bigger cam than the Engle I currently am using and on a 108. That motor would ping on a hot day on 91 with timing over 34. 2 pistons show signs of light detonation.

So...I think quench is pretty dang important. But, I do believe, based on my experience, that you still get benefit, even if you are in the mid .050s..YRMV.

72 RR, Pump gas 440, 452s, 3800 lbs, Corked, ET Radials,. 11.33@117.72. Same car, bone stock 346s, 9.5 comp, baby solid. 12.24@110.