Quote:

I don't know where this idea that a car with a glide will be "lazy" or won't 60ft came from. That is FAR from the truth. Just because so and so put a glide in his car with the WRONG converter and the car was a slug early, doesn't make that scenario a fact.

Lots of gear, be it rear OR trans, lets you accelerate the car with rpm, which may or may not be the quickest way down the track, depending on your combo. With a taller gear in the trans or rear, it puts the onus of moving the car on the converter and it MUST be right. You want to USE the grunt the motor makes, be it a small or big block, and let that torque WORK the torque converter and move the car.

Also, guys put WAY too much emphasis on 60ft numbers. While they are important, they are NOT as important as 330 numbers. Now before anybody says a quicker 60ft always presents a faster 330......the reply to that is NO, it does NOT automatically work that way. How the car uses the power from 60 TO 330 is what makes those numbers good or bad.

So put a ton of gear in a low powered car and it MAY accelerate like a bandit for 100 feet or so, but then it is all done and flat on its face, because you topped the motor out very early. Now you put a taller gear in that same car, use the torque and make the car accelerate hard for a LONGER period of time and it WILL be quicker to 330, even though the 60 may not be quite as good. WAY more numbers on a time slip than the 60 and ET. Learn what those other numbers mean and what helps them. I will sacrifice a couple numbers in 60ft for the car to be in control and moving harder at 330 EVERY time

Monte

Hi Monte.... Always enjoy your posts.

That said, a lot of what you said above DOESNT apply to probably 80-90 percent of the guys on here, me included.
Car I am putting together has a 318 and will weigh 3400 pounds. I guarantee you if it doesn't 60 foot, it isn't going to make it up elsewhere.
A lot of weekend race cars are exactly like that, be they dual purpose cars or heavy cars that don't have 700-800 horse motors in them. A doggy 60 feet can create double the ET liability it creates when you get to the ET shack.
Sure some stuff can overcome a bad 60 foot because of having to pull power away on the hit, being a turbo car, or index car, or a whole variety of scenarios.
But most of us common folk know a bad 60 foot will kill a time slip.....

69 Dart GTS A4 Silver All steel, flat factory hood, 3360race weight
418 BPE factory replacement headed stroker, 565 lift solid cam
Best so far, 10.40 @127 1/4
1.41 best 60 foot
6.60 at 103.90 1/8