Quote:

What I do with the plastic bolts, to keep from blowing the top off and destroying linkage or lines, is one of two methods.....One is you can make 4 "tethers" from very small steel cable. Fab up some small brackets at the four corners and it lifts and sets right back down......Two, is at the 4 corners, you install what amounts to a carb stud. Secure the intake top with the plastic bolts and put a spring and nut on the 4 corner studs. You are essentially making the WHOLE top the burst panel.

I know LOTS of people use them, but those small burst panels are pretty much useless. It MIGHT and I repeat MIGHT help you with a small pop when cranking, but chances are still VERY good that even if they do open, you will still taco shell the throttle plates. I would lots rather have to replace some plastic bolts and reseal the top, than try to wrestle bent throttle blades from a carb.......especially a Dominator. If the you bend them bad, you usually have to cut the throttle shafts out to get them out. Then you are out blades AND shafts.

Monte

Thank you as always for your insight. My car is a street/strip deal so most of my reasoning for installing the burst plates is for lean backfires when I am warming up the engine (i.e. a cold fall morning putting to the track). As far as the nylon bolts I am having a hard time finding flat allen head (tapered seat) 10-24 machine screws in the harder, UV-proof nylon. I did find some that are made from white nylon however they are quite soft and the cone on the underside of the bolt head is no as large in comparison to it's steel counterpart. Where do you guys buy your nylon bolts? The only place I have found them is home improvement stores and hardware outfits (ACE is the place).

I like the idea of tehers.