Quote:

All good questions. The issue is as such: the car was reprinted in the early 80s in single stage. The job was ok and is starting to breakdown. The car either needs a repaint or I need to leave it alone I could dis-assemble as well as re-assemble to a certain point. Would probably need assistance on some of it. The car is in relatively good shape and would probably need minor rust/metal repair. I am trying to figure out whether its worth it to attack this project or just cut my losses and and buy another car. Not looking for concourse but not maaco either. Just a nice driver.

then it appears your looking for more of a cosmetic paint job, rather than a full blown resto type refinish, if done "properly", the car needs to be stripped of the old paint, your talking about all the trim removal, possibly the vinyl top dependent on its condition, now your talking a lot of masking/covering if you don't want to remove the interior, glass, etc...the car should be painted in the jambs for a somewhat professional appearance, again a lot of taping/masking/covering if the interior is left intact, as well as underhood,...now add the countless hours of bodywork, blocking, nevermind rust repair if needed...for what will be considered a somewhat half-ar$ed "resto" you'll be dropping a minimum of $5K for a decent paint job, to $10K plus for a "quality" paint job depending on your requirements, and additional work here on the east coast, paint/primer/body materials alone will run the shop anywhere from $2500-$5K...then add the labour!...sure there's plenty of shops out there that will tell you $2K, $3K. $4K for a paint job, you get what you pay for...bodywork and paint is the biggest stumbling block for the auto enthusiast, if you can't perform the work yourself, then your at the mercy of a shop, you cut corners, or they cut corners, you get what you paid for, plus it's harder to find shops that want to do restos, even if it's just "light" work, like a repaint, and if your contemplating a color change, don't half-ar$e it, your basically looking at complete disassembly to properly change the color of the car....this is how "just a repaint", snowballs into a full blown resto, and for some, a project that turns into a multi year project, and a financial nightmare....