Moparts

Cost to paint a car?

Posted By: 68 Sat

Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 02:44 AM

I have a 69 B Body that I am thinking of changing color from yellow to red. Assuming bodywork is minimal how much does this usually run. I am in the North East..

Attached picture 7920864-hubcap4.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 02:54 AM

First off, talk about changing the color of your car at your own risk around here. I was almost virtually castrated for it.

Secondly, paint jobs are very expensive, especially done well. i.e: painting door jambs, underhood, trunk......

There is almost no way to guesstimate what it would cost for you, but I will try. 6-12k depending on how straight you want it and how clean it is to start.

, leave it alone or respray it Y2.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 03:11 AM

That question is so open ended that it can't be answered with an adequate response, are you looking for a "rotisserie" style paint job where the car is as OEM finished, or over restored in finish? ie showcar finish, or a quickie Macco job?...who will disassemble the car for paint?, if that's your intention, if so who will assemble the car after paint?, any frame/floor rust repairs needed?, that you know about?, are you prepared financially for the inevitable when the initial quote is now doubled?....the more info on your paint intentions, the clearer the estimates...
Posted By: mopargem

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 03:29 AM

This car has lasted all these years and you want to color change it ..... Uhg!

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 04:10 AM

All good questions. The issue is as such: the car was reprinted in the early 80s in single stage. The job was ok and is starting to breakdown. The car either needs a repaint or I need to leave it alone I could dis-assemble as well as re-assemble to a certain point. Would probably need assistance on some of it. The car is in relatively good shape and would probably need minor rust/metal repair. I am trying to figure out whether its worth it to attack this project or just cut my losses and and buy another car. Not looking for concourse but not maaco either. Just a nice driver.
Posted By: Mr D21

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 04:15 AM

Is this the certain point your referring to? If so, then $7500. And I'm going Acrylic Enamel Single Stage

Attached picture 7921030-Chall.JPG
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 04:24 AM

Quote:

Just a nice driver.

If you have no attachment to the car-ship it...

There's a ton of 'nice drivers' out there with a sign in the window...
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 04:27 AM

Quote:

I am trying to figure out whether its worth it to attack this project or just cut my losses and and buy another car.

VERY good Idea!
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 06:10 AM

Quote:

All good questions. The issue is as such: the car was reprinted in the early 80s in single stage. The job was ok and is starting to breakdown. The car either needs a repaint or I need to leave it alone I could dis-assemble as well as re-assemble to a certain point. Would probably need assistance on some of it. The car is in relatively good shape and would probably need minor rust/metal repair. I am trying to figure out whether its worth it to attack this project or just cut my losses and and buy another car. Not looking for concourse but not maaco either. Just a nice driver.

then it appears your looking for more of a cosmetic paint job, rather than a full blown resto type refinish, if done "properly", the car needs to be stripped of the old paint, your talking about all the trim removal, possibly the vinyl top dependent on its condition, now your talking a lot of masking/covering if you don't want to remove the interior, glass, etc...the car should be painted in the jambs for a somewhat professional appearance, again a lot of taping/masking/covering if the interior is left intact, as well as underhood,...now add the countless hours of bodywork, blocking, nevermind rust repair if needed...for what will be considered a somewhat half-ar$ed "resto" you'll be dropping a minimum of $5K for a decent paint job, to $10K plus for a "quality" paint job depending on your requirements, and additional work here on the east coast, paint/primer/body materials alone will run the shop anywhere from $2500-$5K...then add the labour!...sure there's plenty of shops out there that will tell you $2K, $3K. $4K for a paint job, you get what you pay for...bodywork and paint is the biggest stumbling block for the auto enthusiast, if you can't perform the work yourself, then your at the mercy of a shop, you cut corners, or they cut corners, you get what you paid for, plus it's harder to find shops that want to do restos, even if it's just "light" work, like a repaint, and if your contemplating a color change, don't half-ar$e it, your basically looking at complete disassembly to properly change the color of the car....this is how "just a repaint", snowballs into a full blown resto, and for some, a project that turns into a multi year project, and a financial nightmare....
Posted By: Merlin45

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 09:49 AM

I just had my 74 Challenger painted, cost was a little over $3900. My car was B5 Blue and I kept it the same color. You can see my car at the web site listed below. The body shop did an excellent job and I'm very pleased. In addition to the paint job I put on a new front clip, had the engine rebuilt (spun a cam bearing), and did many, many corrosion repairs. I very happy with the outcome, in the past when I drove the car I always had people take pictures or video while driving, I see the same problem coming again. You can see the work/progress at:

http://hnhrodshop.com
Posted By: 71TA

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 02:57 PM

Quote:

I just had my 74 Challenger painted, cost was a little over $3900. My car was B5 Blue and I kept it the same color. You can see my car at the web site listed below. The body shop did an excellent job and I'm very pleased. In addition to the paint job I put on a new front clip, had the engine rebuilt (spun a cam bearing), and did many, many corrosion repairs. I very happy with the outcome, in the past when I drove the car I always had people take pictures or video while driving, I see the same problem coming again. You can see the work/progress at:

NICE CHALLENGER! I've been looking to buy a clean 74 but all the nice ones are 30's to 40's

PS I have a 71 B5 Challenger. I'm saving UP to get a $10,000 paint job. Thats what a decent one costs around here. I BLEW $5000 having a recommended, adult who paints at a company that customizes show cars for the big 3. They ruined the MY CAR. Now it has to be taken apart, stripped and repainted. So sick I'm tempted to part it out. Haven't driven it in 3 years. Point is, don't cut corners and go with HIGHLY RECOMMENDED (by many people) painter.
Posted By: MOPARMIKE69

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 03:27 PM

Quote:

Quote:

then it appears your looking for more of a cosmetic paint job, rather than a full blown resto type refinish, if done "properly", the car needs to be stripped of the old paint, your talking about all the trim removal, possibly the vinyl top dependent on its condition, now your talking a lot of masking/covering if you don't want to remove the interior, glass, etc...the car should be painted in the jambs for a somewhat professional appearance, again a lot of taping/masking/covering if the interior is left intact, as well as underhood,...now add the countless hours of bodywork, blocking, nevermind rust repair if needed...for what will be considered a somewhat half-ar$ed "resto" you'll be dropping a minimum of $5K for a decent paint job, to $10K plus for a "quality" paint job depending on your requirements, and additional work here on the east coast, paint/primer/body materials alone will run the shop anywhere from $2500-$5K...then add the labour!...sure there's plenty of shops out there that will tell you $2K, $3K. $4K for a paint job, you get what you pay for...bodywork and paint is the biggest stumbling block for the auto enthusiast, if you can't perform the work yourself, then your at the mercy of a shop, you cut corners, or they cut corners, you get what you paid for, plus it's harder to find shops that want to do restos, even if it's just "light" work, like a repaint, and if your contemplating a color change, don't half-ar$e it, your basically looking at complete disassembly to properly change the color of the car....this is how "just a repaint", snowballs into a full blown resto, and for some, a project that turns into a multi year project, and a financial nightmare....

EXACTLY!
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 03:50 PM

Quote:

I don't think you are telling us the whole story? Front clip replacement, rust repair and paint for $3900 bucks?
Posted By: RodStRace

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 03:52 PM

time to clean it up and sell...
Posted By: moparpollack

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 04:11 PM

$45 an hour X x hours plus materials.
Posted By: KillerBee

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 04:37 PM

Quote:

So sick I'm tempted to part it out.

When can I come up and pic up the stroker engine and T/A hood.
Posted By: DPelletier

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 05:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

EXACTLY!

x3

repaint it the original color or heed the consequences described above. Around here $10 - $15k or so will get you a decent exterior only paintjob with minimal bodywork required. plan on double those numbers as a starting point if you blow the car apart for a proper color change.

Dave

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 05:40 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So sick I'm tempted to part it out.

When can I come up and pic up the stroker engine and T/A hood.

Don't TEMPT me

You know thats and AndyF 470" shortblock from his magazine article "How to get 570HP with exhaust manifolds". Now it has max ported Edelbrock heads from the late Modern Cyl Head with beehive springs and a MP528 mechanical cam.

TA hood - it's one of those GOOD ASC&P repops. Has one hairline crack by the scoop and the screens at the back of the hood have some slight surface rust. If (WHEN) I repaint it would get SS screens.

Just don't EVER see having the time with the gasket biz and another $30K to throw at it. Might be able to get $20k out of it in parts.

Sorry for the hijack
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 05:52 PM

Thats a beautiful car, I have a 69 4 door that color, and wish it was drivable again. I say leave it. If you just can't stand it, give it to me.
Posted By: gtx6970

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 07:14 PM

Around here , I could probably have it painted in the $5K range , depending on metal work / rust repair. And it would be a pretty decent looking car once completed . I have enough friends that are painters I would not have to run it through a shop( except for paint booth rental)

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 07:59 PM

My apologies, the paint job alone was a little over $3900. All other corrosion repairs, new metal, and other parts were on other invoices. I still get stomach cramps when I review the invoices.

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 09:41 PM

Quote:

Around here , I could probably have it painted in the $5K range , depending on metal work / rust repair. And it would be a pretty decent looking car once completed . I have enough friends that are painters I would not have to run it through a shop( except for paint booth rental)

I should send my Challenger your way Bill!

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/12/13 11:14 PM

Quote:

So Bill, if that was a customer's car, how much would that $5k paintjob be, do you suppose?

Dave

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/13/13 01:22 AM

Thats a rough estimate on my part. The one I would use is local to me. Same guy that painted my former 1970 Challenger 340 about 8 years ago.
I brought him a partially dis-assembled but drivable car .
He stripped it to bare metal, repaired the small amount of rust in the rear window channel and repainted the car in base clear for $3200. I did all the reassembly work .
That is just outer body. No door jams, , trunk or engine compartment paint.
I am currently doing a ground up on a 1968 Charger R/T .Once it get it to the point it's ready for panel fitting , blocking and paint, He'll be the one to take over. So I'll know then a better estimate ( probably next spring sometime)

my old challenger .
I removed the original top , bumpers, ft+rear glass and all the trim. I had another shop re-install the ft+rear glass and vinyl top

Attached picture 7922053-A7.jpg

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/13/13 01:26 AM

Quote:

I should send my Challenger your way Bill!

I think he is looking for a winter project if your serious. My job will not be ready for him till spring.
He repaired a car I have in the shop a few weeks ago. and it still needs sanded and buffed. Hopefully later this week. so I will ask him a rough estimate in somethign similar to my old challnger . No outer body rust / panel repair, minimul dings to deal with. labor and materials

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/13/13 01:38 AM

Nice.

My point was just a caution that many of us have friends that can do the work as a favor or some of us can even do it ourselves, but those situations aren't good benchmarks when discussing costs to a third party.

Anyhow; awesome that you have someone close that you can trust and does a good job for cheap.

Dave

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/13/13 01:44 AM

Ok, just sent him a text.

Todays prices.
Bring him a rolling / semi drivable car. He can paint one with door jams cut in for $4500-$5000 .
under hood and/or trunk would be more
+ rust issues would add costs.

Quote:

Nice.

My point was just a caution that many of us have friends that can do the work as a favor or some of us can even do it ourselves, but those situations aren't good benchmarks when discussing costs to a third party.

Anyhow; awesome that you have someone close that you can trust and does a good job for cheap.

Having friends has it's benefits.
As far as quality, I would call it a really REALLY nice driver quality finish. I'd let him spray anything I have.
Actually,,,,We've been talking about forming something as a team. I do all the mechanical work and he does all the body side stuff.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/13/13 02:01 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think you are telling us the whole story? Front clip replacement, rust repair and paint for $3900 bucks?

I spent more than that on Paint, primer and clear...not to mention labor and other supplies...
Posted By: hotairballoonpilot

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/13/13 02:05 AM

I won't give estimates on old cars. Just do time and materials. Reason being if I tell someone it's going to be guessing 5-7 they hear 5 forget about the 7 then when you get started you find extra work inform them or they want this extra done or whatever. It adds up and then you are over the top guess number and they are upset. I like to show pics of our work tell them approx figures what past jobs have been so they get ideas. I show them my excel program where I log all work and materials along with dates. Tell them that I've got my clears n primers n sealers figured by spray able oz and log it accordingly what I mix up. I haven't figured out ways to track things like filler,sand paper,masking materials ect. I inform them of that so they know I'm not out to take them
For a ride with an open check book. We like to get $ up front to start then keep track when it starts getting over amount get more to keep going. Like to keep them coming in the door to look that way they see where the money goes. I have tried telling people ideas on costs but like i said you gotta try to cover your butt without being so way high on price that it scares people.

As far as your car goes. If you like it change the color. If you don't sell it and get one done the color you want. But byblos
Means if you have to pay someone to look the car over both body n mechanicals do it! I've seen to many 50 footers people bought thinking they thought it looked good at 5 feet. How do you tell someone their car has some major issues after they bought it.
Posted By: kissmyaspen

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/13/13 05:45 AM

And don't forget the 1-2 years the body shop will take, just cuz they can.......
Posted By: Mopargnome

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/13/13 05:52 AM

Thats just a loaded question. Like your wife asking if the pants make her butt look fat.
Posted By: High Impact

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/13/13 11:47 AM

Alot of good advice in this post although somewhat depressing..........The price is just crazy now-a-days....It almost keeps the common guy from having a nice looking car.

Every car I own needs some sort of body work and finding anybody in Northern Michigan is just about inpossible!!! Everyone wants collision work..Its quick and somewhat easy compared to the hours working on something with rust and eight foot long quarters

Im in the same boat so to say, My simple re-paint with no rust repair but a few dents here and there in going to be about $15,000 Im told! On-top of that I gave $3000.00 to a guy to block and prep the car for paint and all my body lines are either wavy or no where near as sharp as they should be so, for the last 10 years its turned into a catch all for junk laying around till I can either win the lotto or sell one of the other cars.

My is just dont tear the car apart till your 100% ready otherwise it'll be a nightmare....I wish I had driven my car and enjoyed it till I was ready to commit to such a huge project.
Posted By: U_Code_Cuda

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/13/13 02:22 PM

Chris,

I have restoration shop in Paterson , NJ call me if interested in painting your car! We just finished my buddies 71 Demon 340 in Plum Crazy and my 71 Demon in B2 blue. You are welcomed to see either one....we are not a shop that takes 2 years to paint a car! My car was stripped to bare metal and painted in 3 weeks and my buddies in 4( that included a new trunk pan.)

Thank,
Steven
201-715-2946

Sent from my iPad
Posted By: kentj340

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/14/13 11:14 AM

Quote:

My apologies, the paint job alone was a little over $3900. All other corrosion repairs, new metal, and other parts were on other invoices. I still get stomach cramps when I review the invoices.

Wow, looks like I'll be going to Azle, TX, only 300 miles away (not very far, Texas-wise), to talk about paint. So, was that acrylic enamel?
Posted By: demon440

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/14/13 02:07 PM

My quotes were for a color change, but that
shouldn't cost anymore than same color.
I want the whole car painted, not just parts of it.
Going to use the same amount of paint no matter
what color.

Attached picture 7923678-demon.jpg
Posted By: Clay Fees

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/16/13 03:40 AM

Quote:

First off, talk about changing the color of your car at your own risk around here. I was almost virtually castrated for it.

No kidding. I once posted about changing turquoise 69 RR to black and thought I was going to be banned from the site.
Posted By: Q5_Ed

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/16/13 02:27 PM

OK so it looks like $50/hr with someone honest is a reasonable rate. I would like to find someone to work on less critical areas like bottom, trunk, and engine compartment for getting it in primer and painting bottom with gray epoxy, then have a shop do top sheet metal and paint. Hopefully that would save some overall cash. I have a few decent locals from $45 to 55.
Posted By: MaxHeadroom

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/16/13 11:35 PM

Quote:

time to clean it up and sell...

I say this too, unless this has a long history and it would kill you to get rid of it, move it out and buy what you are looking for.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/17/13 03:35 AM

I just painted this 69 Charger... there is over $1100 in top coat materials alone, not to mention about 300 hundred hours in bodywork and more hundreds $$ in filler, primers, sanpaper etc..
part of the expense is the huge jump in materials cost over the last few years..
It was like $45 for a bottle of compound to buff the paint..

Here is a photo a few minutes after I painted it.

Attached picture 7926688-PICT1011.jpg

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/17/13 05:26 AM

Beautiful car...nice work
Posted By: not_a_charger

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/18/13 01:35 AM

Look how many replies disappeared when I cleaned up the nonsense. Unfortunately, because of how the board software works, removing the garbage takes some of the good stuff with it. Now, KNOCK IT OFF! Anyone who decides to hijack this thread, or takes their nonsensical garbage to other posts on Moparts is getting a long, long, vacation. If you think I'm kidding, try me.
Posted By: azblackhemi

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/18/13 01:39 AM

Thank you!
Posted By: moparfan53

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/18/13 01:53 AM

Quote:

Thank you!

X2
Posted By: rbkt65

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/18/13 02:45 AM

I will now post my experience on this subject. I cannot do body work or painting but can help sand and whatever else. the group I run with everyone has a specialty. Gary built car, Dennis is jack of all trades that can do body work and Roy is painter. Years ago ,I built Roy engine and trans and he is painting car. I made deal with Dennis to do body work, which Roy and Gary checked over as it was done. I bought Napa Crossfire single stage and base coat/clear coat in 64 dodge white for top and ford tempo teal for bottom. I have approx. 2500.00 in paint and materials but free labor. If you barter or swap labor or just have great buddies like I do you have it made. Total cost with deals made will be approx. 5k.This is my real world experience. Car will be raced and street driven. Special thanks to Gary,Dennis and Roy.
Posted By: Golden-Arm

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/18/13 02:56 AM

it's your car, paint it what color you want. if resale is your goal, stick to original. stock restored cars get boring. that said, i recently went full color change, doing a lot of prep and sanding myself, and was finished in less than a week, for well under 5K. do what makes you happy.

that being said, two months of daily work on a paintjob? stevie wonder doing the work? mine went from red, to bare metal, to highfill, to final primer, to base coat, sand and clearcoat, in a week. hey, i'm just sayin'......
Posted By: jt4406

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/18/13 03:04 AM

Quote:

Thank you!

X3
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/18/13 06:22 AM

Quote:

Beautiful car...nice work

Thanks, Chargers are just wonderful looking cars...
I rescued this one from becoming yet another copy of ...you know what... It is a SE car, with tan interior...

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 11/30/13 08:26 AM

Where are you in Oklahoma? I live there (SW part) but an currently working in the Middle East.
Posted By: 72N96RR

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 12/01/13 03:24 AM

9k for this but the painter went above and beyond with panel fitting and straightening every gap..strip prime and paint..reassemble most of it and wetsand twice..one when painted and once when it had time to shrink and harden..paint and materials alone were 3 grand..

Attached picture 7942153-IMG_0743.jpg

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 12/13/13 11:42 AM

Beautiful!! The color looks to be the same on my 74 Challenger.
Posted By: Tempest

Re: Cost to paint a car? - 12/14/13 04:10 PM

I'm going to offer the advice of, spend as much as you can afford on the best materials. The paint will last much longer (and how you store it) in the long run.

I had a car painted 20 years ago. I just got married, money was tight and it cost more than double what I planned. However, it looks as good today as it did then. I credit that for getting the best job I could afford, not just a good deal.

I could have spent much less but may have had to tear the car apart again after 10-15 years. The paint shows no signs of age after all these years. Ask the shops you are looking at what materials they use and do some research before you make a decision.

My $.02.
© 2024 Moparts Forums