Quote:

I went out while she was still sleeping, and looked at the some. Rods are all 7147"s, and the # on the base ion the front are both 2540 9756S. Now- I did say was not a carb guy- so don't laugh too much. Where's the jets?

well, the first thing is to know where you are rich. idle, cruise, power? that is what is going to determine what you change. idle, like any carburetor, is just the idle mixture screws.

on these carbs, the whole top of the carb comes off. the floats are attached to the top, and the fuel bowls are in the base. no need to drain them to change jets. go to the edelbrock web site, you can download a PDF of the manual for those carbs.

i wouldn't take the tops off yet until you figure out where you are rich, and then try some metering rod changes.

i was running a 68/57 (first number is cruise, second is power) in mine. at WOT the A/F meter was showing around 14:1. i changed the rod to a 68/47, and it is now reading around 13:1. done! ready to mess with cruise a bit, and off i go.

jets are what you think they are: the bigger the jet, the richer the mixture. the metering rods sit through the jet at all times, (primaries only, secondary jets have no metering rods and so are unobstructed). the metering rod is connected to a piston which has a spring underneath it. engine vacuum overcomes the force of the spring, and sucks the piston down, so the bigger part of the rod is obstructing the jet, that's cruise. when there is little or no vacuum, WOT, the spring pushes the piston and so the metering rod up, and now the smaller part of the rod is in the jet, so more fuel will flow through.

so with rods, smaller is richer. just like my example. engine to lean on WOT, smaller rod means less obstruction in the jet means more fuel flowing through.

so figure out what you want to change first, and we'll go from there.