Quote:

Thanks for the good info.

So what about the scenario where you take off, tires spinning all through first, you upshift to second and the tires stop spinning....is that considered the same as the tires abruptly "grabbing" and causing damage to the sprag even though it's in second gear at that point? I'm curious because I'm trying to picture what's going on and if the tires are spinning all through first, how can the sprag/whatever react fast enough from the sudden grab from the tires. In first gear I understand what you mean.

I'm far from a serious racer, I just want to take the car out and have fun every now and then without worrying if I spin my tires a little enthusiastically. It makes me wonder how people drove these cars in snow and ice without blowing transmissions every winter.

The sprag is HOLDING the REAR drum from spinning in first(low) gear, with a low band apply valvebody the low band , which is the REAR BAND is holding the drum along with, or instead of, the rear sprag. EXTRA INSURANCE .....

You, and the people in snow, are not really making enough HP nor are you spinning the engine to an RPM that will cause the front drum to spin to an RPM ... over 7000, that will cause it to blow up. I wasted the rear sprag in the trans in my moms 72 fury by accidentally jamming the trans into reverse at about 50mph while manually shifting . she drove the car for at least a year after that incident . Years later after the car was mine and then sat in the backyard and then parted I disassembled the trans, when I flipped the trans over, bellhousing down, the outer race and part of the case fell out onto the floor.

Quote:

In this video, is what the guy removes @ 3:55 what I was calling the "front drum" and what causes the explosion in 727's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrTqSdSCbM&list=HL1364522704

So is the band that wraps around the drum what you guys are calling the LBA? Is that how the sprag is "bypassed" when the car goes into 2nd gear?

NO , that video starts with the FRONT drum already out of the trans , the FRONT drum is in the FRONT of the trans closest to the engine.