Thanks for the good info.

So what about the scenario where you take off, tires spinning all through first, you upshift to second and the tires stop spinning....is that considered the same as the tires abruptly "grabbing" and causing damage to the sprag even though it's in second gear at that point? I'm curious because I'm trying to picture what's going on and if the tires are spinning all through first, how can the sprag/whatever react fast enough from the sudden grab from the tires. In first gear I understand what you mean.

I'm far from a serious racer, I just want to take the car out and have fun every now and then without worrying if I spin my tires a little enthusiastically. It makes me wonder how people drove these cars in snow and ice without blowing transmissions every winter.

In this video, is what the guy removes @ 3:55 what I was calling the "front drum" and what causes the explosion in 727's?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQrTqSdSCbM&list=HL1364522704

So is the band that wraps around the drum what you guys are calling the LBA? Is that how the sprag is "bypassed" when the car goes into 2nd gear?

So is basically what happens is when your spinning tires the sprag is spinning around crazy fast and when the car hooks it tries to stop from spinning abruptly and those rollers "roll under" the edge of the sprag?

Last edited by J5440; 03/28/13 11:13 PM.