Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

It will run if I keep the rpms up over 12-1300

Then the problem isn't the converter locking....it's engine related.

100%

OK where do I go now? The cam is set straight up, have good vacuum. Timing is at 10 * plugs are gapped right , have new everything....what could be causing this? If I had a vacuum leak under the manifold would a compression check reveal it?

Thats why I asked about if it ran ok in Park. If the converter was locked up then it would be just like trying to keep a stick car idleing with the trans in gear and the clutch out. You can not keep it running at a stand still in gear with a locked converter clutch. I have had it a few times myself over the years. Had a van that the lock-up relay on the firewall mounted upside down and it was filled with water and would lock the converter right up. But that year it would not lock up until it hit third gear as it had to have the lock-up valve move over to work which would only move when it shifted into third and as soon as it shifted into third the converter was locked.
I agree with John as it sounds like and eng problem. What is the eng vacum at idle and is it steady ? Ron