Quote:

Quote:

... I think the right thing to do would be moving the helicoil farther down in the hole where there is more meat.

After checking over two sets of the standard Victors last night that both have the same narrow center pedestal, I'm of the same opinion that the heli-coil location is the issue.

Is the Time-Sert kit shown above a legit DIY deal, or should I work w/ a local machine shop to ensure this isn't botched up? I've installed plenty of heli-coils before, but this job looks to be a little different since it involves drilling much deeper than the existing heli-coil, etc.

If your head is not broken, If you could spin the heli-coil down another 1/2" or so, I think it would be OK, but the insert tang may have been broken off at the factory, so you may have to remove the old one before installing another one deeper. The time-sert is nice, but the top has a step in it that you countersink for. It works great if you have broken the stand and milled the surface flat, but with the stock stand, I would not make the hole larger in diameter because the stand is pretty narrow.

The time-sert can be done by hand like a heli-coil, but a drill press will ensure the hole you drill is perpendicular to the deck, and in-line with the other rocker shaft hold down fasteners.