Well as some of you know and many others have asked in PM's my lowly street strip Dart has received some upgrades over the winter. The trusty 340, 904 and 8.75 served me well for many seasons. Roughly about 5 years, well over 1000 passes and immeasurable abuse on the streets. At times it served as my daily driver, I won numerous races in the car as well as a track championship. It was truly an amazing street-strip piece, but who can leave well enough alone.

The last time I raced the car down in Vegas over Thanksgiving, Went out on top.

I like everyone else I wanted to go faster! The car in its 12.60 trim was fun and competitive but again, faster is better. The 340 engine was getting long in the tooth anyways and would need replaced, or at least rebuilt. So about a year and a half ago I started preparing, purchasing parts, then selling the same parts to go a different direction, save money etc. My ADD was in full effect and at times it seemed like I would never have something to stick in the car. I spent countless hours weighing my options; small block? big block? gen 3 hemi? Until I finally came to a conclusion, sort of.

Taking it apart

Stroked small block seemed to be the simplest and best package for me. I already had headers, transmission would work, converter would work. So I set out to build a low maintenance small block engine that would run decent, still be drivable and not break the bank. My 340 was already .030 over, I have a complete standard bore 360 sitting on a stand that would make a good donor. But browsing craigslist one day I happened upon a set of rods and pistons for a “stock stroke 318, standard bore”.

They were eagle H beams and Ross pistons rings and bearings for a 396” small block stroker, brand new, never used and cheap. Who would build an entire motor around a set of rods and pistons? The same idiot writing this…. and I didn’t even end up using the pistons. I’m going to make a long story short and break down the rest of the engine combo below as it changed so many times, I can’t even keep track.

318 .030 over for 390”
BPE 4” crank
Eagle H beams
Diamond Flat tops (11.3:1)
Standard tension moly rings
Kevco oil pan
Cometics
Bullet Solid FT 263/268@.050 .656/.662 lift with 1.6’s
Howards EDM lifters
Ported Edelbrock heads [Email]280@.600[/Email]
Crane 1.6 rockers
Smith brothers push rods
Victor 340 OOTB
750HP Holley
1 5/8-3/4” TTI’s
Full 3” exhaust to the bumper
Tranzact Built 904
Pro tree brake
2.74 first gear
8” PTC converter flashes to ~4800
255/60/15 drag radial (27” tall)
4.10 gear

Inside a Kevco Pan

Knowing I was going to be putting more power to the car I pulled the old rear end out in favor of a slightly narrowed Dana. 4.10’s, spool, 35 spline axles, all the parts sourced from Dr. Diff. Truly a pleasure to do business with, and a very knowledgeable fellow. A 6 point moly rollbar was also installed along with a pair of Kirkey seats and RCI harnesses.

Future driver, my nephew, giving the car a test

The car was previously outfit with a full caltrac system, 4 shocks, bars and mono leafs, so I figured I would be good to go in the traction department, tubs were widened anyways just in case,

Obviously the stock fuel system wouldn’t be up to the task of feeding the new engine so a custom aluminum tank was purchased from www.hotrodcitygarage.com . I didn’t want to fill the trunk up with a fuel cell as I need the space for tools and other items at the track. An Aeromotive A1000 pump and regulator were acquired. I had heard lots of good things about the Earls Pro lite 350 hose so I ordered enough of that for a feed and return line as well as more fittings than I can remember. This hose is amazing to work with. No more pricked fingers trying to handle the stainless line, it cut it with a hose cutter, it’s just super easy to work with, I love it.

In typical fashion the car wasn’t complete and running until the night before the first and only test and tune of the year. That was also the only test and tune of the season before the points racing started. It being a completely new combination there have been many many headaches and hiccups the past 2 months but we seem to be approaching the light at the end of the tunnel.

Pictures of newly coated TTI's

The car only has 38 passes on it so far, and has run a best of 10.78@123.7 with a 1.47 60 foot time. 6600 shift, 6700 through the traps. It’s still a heavy pig, and I’m sure there is more left in it with tuning and playing with parts. I even drove it to work every day last week. For what it is I’m happy with it, hopefully I can do my job behind the wheel and find the winners circle soon.

I’ll conclude this by saying thanks to everyone who answered my questions, offered advice, listened to me whine about things not going according to plan, etc. There are too many people to list and I’m afraid I will forget someone. Big thanks to my brother Andrew (topfueldart), he has helped me do the majority of the work and let me use space in his garage on countless occasions to build the engine and do other tasks along the way.

Link to a time run, [Email]10.85@122[/Email] http://youtu.be/69XdA9AUdDg
Yes the mirror adjustment was needed

Well this is getting long and I'm tired, Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Triple Threat; 06/19/12 02:01 PM.

-Dustin
67 Dart, 9 second, 392" G3 Hemi
68 Barracuda 340 F/SA