Quote:

Quote:

Im also of the opinion tha the wrong fenders were installed...But...It probably wasnt a mistake. Maybe there were no undrilled fenders on hand. And rather than fill the holes it was much easier to just install the emblems and call it a day. I think stuff like this happened all the time. Especially back then, when there wasnt as much scrutiny as you would find today.

As the cars were built they used the parts they were "supposed" to, but if there was a shortage then reasonable means were used to keep the line moving. In a case like this, installing a few extra emblems definitely falls under reasonable means...

MB

Mike, with all of the broadcast sheets and fender tag/build tags starting in Body-in-White to the final control and all of the QC I just don't see that happening but that's just my opinion. People say there was "no quality" or "quality control" but I know there was. When I ordered my '69 road runner (photo earlier in this post) it came just like I ordered it and no issues when it arrived. On of my friends ordered a '68 Hemi road runner the year before and it was delivered just like he ordered and no issues on delivery and another friend ordered a '69 4-speed road runner one month after I did and again no issues. I know that's only three examples but over the years during that time I never heard anyone that didn't get what they ordered or had something odd like extra emblems or they were out of 383 4-barrels so they put in a.......going off the deep end on that but what I mean is that if you can't vouch for how it was delivered then it's all a guess or what you want to believe.

Now I will NEVER be able to prove my A12 road runner came with GTX trim even with the fact there are 48 trim holes in the exact same place as my '69 GTX and the fact that the trim clips slide on the back of the trim so the holes could be off by an 1/8" to 6 inches if someone other than the factory put the holes in that is still not proof that the dealer or owner did them....I wasn't there when the car arrived and I haven't found the original owner....all just speculation

MikeR

With all due respect Mike, are you really willing to go out on that limb and say that EVERY car came right off the assembly line with it's all correct parts that it was supposed to have? Heck, Id even think there were "suitable substitutes" for certain conditions where due to part shortages or some other scenario.

Quick story.

I bought a new Dodge Durango in 1999. The next morning when I went to get in the truck I noticed that the "V8Magnum" emblems were missing on the front fenders! No evidence of them ever having them either... Complained to the dealer and they said there were a few that they delivered with that problem. They supplied me the emblems and I stuck em on.

This was in 1999..It couldn't have happened in '69 also??

MB