re-read my post above about my car. unusual things can happen to cars before they are ever delivered to the first owner.
basicly my car was a 1 owner low miles car purchased NEW with 15 miles on the car. i ended up having different colored fenders, door skins replaced and 1/4 panels repaired before the original owner ever saw it to buy. i have repainted 100's of volaries due to industrial fallout before the owners ever purchased there cars. i have removed dodge parts from plymouths, plymouth parts off chryslers, chrysler parts off plymouths that were assembled wrong. i have welded and bondoed trim holes on cars that had the wrong trim installed at the factory. i have replaced damaged sheetmetal on cars that were wrecked when they rolled off the trucks damaged. i have traded doors, hoods, bumpers, wheels and tires between cars because the new owners wanted factory options on there cars when they weren't originally installed on them. i have even seen owners buying 2 new cars with different size motors and having the engines and trans swapped to save on insurance. then they put the other car on consignment to sell.
just because you THINK it's original because the SECOND owner told you so. think again. the only way to be 100% sure something is original is to have photo documentation of the car the moment it rolls off the line.
to all of the people doing factory original restos. my hat is tipped to you for all of your hard work you do. the problem is you really don't know how the car rolled off the line, no one knows. it's just a educated guess at best. cars are assembled wrong at the factory, they get damaged, and sometimes repaired, before they ever make it to the dealerships. with all of the work on paint dabs on the suspension bolts as it left the factory. in all of my years of working at new car dealers, started working at a plymouth dealer in 76. those paint dabs put on nuts and bolts. THE NEW CAR PREP MAN DOES THAT STEP. when they roll off the line there isn't any paint on the bolts. same thing with cotter pins. they are installed by the new car prep man.

perception is 90% of reality