tallzag,

You said:
"I believe that the regional office gave out the order pads to the dealers so if cars are from the same region they should have close VON's."

Dealers typically received their vehicle order forms from their sales reps and or from the regional/zone office.

The initial stock orders were taken at the dealer only new model shows held generally at the largest city in the region/zone. There were dealer only new car shows all over the country and they took place within the same week, one for each region/zone. When I was selling Dodges new from 1968-1974 you would sit down per your turn with your sales rep to place your orders for your first orders that would show up at the dealership DAYS before the unveiling of the new models at the dealership.

The dealership I workerd for was in northern Illinois about 150 miles from Chicago. The dealer new car show was held in Chicago. Mr. Norm's was in the same region/zone. Guess who ordered the most cars at the show?

This being said your first orders would be in numeric order for the specific models you ordered that day. There were different forms for different models. When you left the table you would leave with additional order forms to order more cars that would arrive after your initial ordered cars at the dealer show. These forms would be used for additional stock and for customer special orders after the new dealer showing. The dealers before and behind you that sat down to the table would have consecutive numbers to yours based on the different orders they made for the specific models.

When the dealer would run low on order forms if the sales rep was scheduled to be at the dealership they always had order forms. If you could not wait then you ordered them from the region/zone office. Of course these forms came from a printing company to the Corporate Office and they were disperst from there to both sales reps and mailed the region/zone offices all over the country and from there to the individual dealers.

You can see from info above that ther will be SOME grouping of consecutive numbers from the same dealers, same region/zone and then they could bounce anywhere in the country.