Super,
You are correct. My inside gauge that is hooked up to show the battery voltage is a "cheapo" gauge with a needle. My hand held unit is a one month old digital.
Does this mean that I should upgrade my inside voltage gauge to a digital unit?
I could try using the hand held digital unit inside of the car and hook it up to the existing voltage gauge to see what that 13-16 fluctuating reading smooths out to on my hand held unit.

That would be nice if this is just an issue with my cheap needle gauge. But then my ammeter would always be fluctuating, and this MSD5 unit is only supposed to pull .7a at idle.
Or, would the digital voltage guage "dampen" what the ammeter is reading since they are both connected to the same 12v feed?

I currently have an email in to Techwest Racing to see if they can give me a way to test the MSD5 unit on my car to rule that box out as a possible issue or not.

If 15.1-15.2 at the battery is too much, then is there anything else besides the VR that could make it charge this high? I have a new AC Delco voltage regulator waiting to go on if needed. My current VR is an Echlin unit and the previous one was the same model number. Both Echlin units made the same reading on the inside voltage gauge.

Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by YO7_A66; 02/03/12 10:14 AM.