Yeah, that's what the center in / dual out looks like, but what about the center in / center out? My car had the huge three chambers on it when I bought it. I recently switched to the little single chambers for two reasons. #1, I wanted to see if I'd pick up at the track, and #2, I wanted the car to be as loud and obnoxious as possible, but not run cut-outs. I picked up .02 and 1 mph at the track and yes, the car is crazy loud and 100% totally obnoxious. Simply out of curiosity, I think I'm going to buy a set of these hopefullyflows that everybody here is in love with and see if they actually make any difference at the track without any other changes to the car. Now THAT would be a real world test.

I couldn't find an internal shot of anything other than the single-in, dual-out single chamber. But it will have the trademark Flowmaster "wall of death" first deflector. ANY muffler that has an obstruction in the flowpath, no matter what it looks like - I don't care if it comes from NASA, an obstruction causes flow impedence. Flow impedence = restriction. To certain degrees, some of this will not adversely affect your performance, it depends on your HP, the pipe diameter of your system, etc. Too small of diameter pipes will cause restriction as well, so remember that even though the pipes are "straight through." I wish I would have understood this exhaust stuff back in 1983 when I replaced my mufflers on my '71 Hemi Charger. I thought - OK, I got a Hemi car, so I should replace the original mufflers with Hemi mufflers! So I bought a pair of "Hemi" mufflers from Mitchell Motors. The ones I received were shorter than the originals (originals were 20" long bodies). I put them on anyway & I could tell they were restrictive - I mean you could hear it & feel it. If I had known something about exhaust, I would have put on a pair of Walker Redline Z mufflers (which later evolved into the Dynomax Super Turbos).

Dynomax's head of performance exhaust engineering has been an engineer for Walker/Dynomax since about 1974, so he's lived through many muffler designs, & seen lots of mufflers come & go. I learned a lot from him, & contributed a lot to Dynomax when I was there also. There are about a dozen Dynomax mufflers that I suggested we build back 11 years ago, & they were all added to the line. Then I suggested we add a new series of QUALITY mufflers to the Thrush line rather than skirt the brand - hell I contended that more people knew the Thrush muffler brand than Dynomax! Why buy out a company like Thrush & then do nothing with it? It didn't make sense to either of us. Tenneco did eventually add a new family of welded Thrush mufflers, so this may have come from my idea I don't know - I had left the company in 2001. Then the bean counters at Tenneco decided one Friday to kill the Thrush Turbo Tube chambered mufflers around 2000. This was a big mistake. It led to me eventually making MY mufflers - the chambered POWERSTICK. They are based on the same premise of the Turbo Tube, but mine flow a LOT better, & are much more heavily constructed. Plus, I have a family of TRUE 3" versions that sound much more brutal than any muffler on the market. If you want something really different, & really aggressive, you may want to look into them. The thing that always amused me about real chambered exhaust tubes, was the way they sounded so unique. The crimps in the outside casing of the mufflers are what do the sound tuning. They create a sound wave anamoly that no other muffler designs can duplicate.

No Man With A Good Car Needs To Be Justified