Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Also use old headers to break in your new motor.

O come on There is nothing like watching a brand new set of headers turn cherry red especialy when they are coated.

Yup that happened to me with my new 6 pak motor running during break in. Then I read TTI instructions to use old headers foor break in. Damn why didn't I read them first?

broke my 440-6 in w/ my el-cheapo headers that I stripped and used VHT paint on and they still look great.

The cherry hot headers is a weird thing because i broke in my 493 with tti's and they did not get like that but i have a roller cam in that motor . and 850 deamon was running at about 11.5 a/f then HA HA.
On our 383 hydraulic cam motor it did turn cherry red i assume the timing was retarded and lean to cause that .

I've always broke in my engines, or customers engines, whether I've built them or not with the carbs intended for the engine, never "smoked" a set of fresh painted or plated headers, TTI's or others...even broke in 3 HEMIs with my custom made 6 pack induction systems, and TTI ceramic coated headers as well,...no issues, if you set the engine up right, and double check everything, you should be able to light it off instantly, and bring it up to a steady 2000 RPM for a 20-30 minute run, best to have the engine plumbed with a vac gauge, timing lite, tach, oil pressure gauge, also a hand held infared to check surface temps, I like to install a thermalcouple temporarly in the water sending unit, I don't like relying on dash gauges for break-in info

Mike