Still plugging away. The coupe had a lot of issues with the structural integrity around The windshield frame. The top of the windshield header was rotted away, and the rubber gasket was pretty much hanging in the breeze. I ended up replacing a 44" wide section of metal above the windshield, and a large section of the inside lower pinch weld as well. As such, I had to reform the peak of the windshield, on both the top and the bottom of the "V" and much of the inner body structure at the top and the bottom of the windshield. Having had to deal with windshield gasket leaks in my 50 4x4 for years, (new glass and new rubber 2 times, made little difference, still leaked around the rubber) I was determined I was not going to have rubber gaskets in this car.

Since I had already done extensive work on the windshield frame, I contacted the local glass guy I've used for years, to see what I needed to bond in new glass. He told me I needed at least a 3/8" lip all the way around the windshield for the Buteen (or whatever that windshield black glue stuff is called) to sit on, and I would have to make a center support. I'm using a split 2 piece windshield with a center post that is bonded in. The center post had to be 1" wide, and at the correct angle for both pieces of glass to sit on and not touch. I added another piece all the way around the outside of the frame to give me a 1/2" flat surface lip for each 1/2 of the windshield, with the center post finishing up the glass mounting surface. A hard board pattern was made from the still intact 1/2 section of the windshield. The 1/2 section I had was in bad condition, it was separating and was scratched up real bad, there was also a crack in one corner. I was concerned it would break while I was trying to get all my surfaces flat. I figured a hard pattern wasn't a bad idea anyway.
While I was doing the surface pieces, I sent the glass out to have a couple pieces made. The windshield fits on the lip where the rubber gasket originally sat. The glass guy put a 1/4" thick piece of bonding agent on the surface and the glass sat on top of that, the finished product is about 3/8" above the body surface at the top and sides. He has a nice seam of bonding agent all the way around both pieces of glass to assure the seal and to protect the edges of the glass. At some point, I may fill the small gap between the glass and the body, but at this point, I'm leaving it alone. I'll see what pictures I have I can post of the process, but much of it was done in a hurry, so pictures are limited. Lets start with the finished product.

6978493-099.JPG (294 downloads)