For those of you that have been thinking I'm a little nuts, I'm going to prove I am.
Please understand, if your looking for perfection, your not going to find it here. I've got more time then money, non-safety related short cuts have been taken. We are dealing with a rust bucket that probably should have been scrapped, but some fool decided to build it. Follow along for your amusement. Hold your concern, I've actually done this before.

The story: I have built, or more like, assembled a collection of parts to make a vehicle that safely drives down the road, about a dozen vehicles over the past 25 or so years. These are fun to drive, look good from 10 feet away, drivers. The kind where you just jump in and drive someplace without worrying about if its going to rain, or even snow.

What got me started in this hobby was events from my childhood. There is a 1/2 mile dirt track in our home town. Back in the mid 60s, they used to race the 30s & 40s coupes. The images of those old cars racing around that track burned into my 10 year old mind. As I'm aging and my physical condition isn't as good as it used to be, I'm facing questions about how many more cars I'm going to be able to build. I want to point out, my wife of 35 years was with my all along the way.
Several years ago, I bought a 90 Dakota for parts, intending on building a rod. One thing led to another and I ended up driving that Dakota for a few years. After a few years of service, the clutch went out and the Dakota returned to a parts supplier. One day it occurred to me I could use the Dakota frame as a base for a street version of one of those old race cars still visible in my mind. The thought was to use as much of the Dakota as possible, install a 4 point roll cage for safety, and throw an old coupe body over the thing, kind of like an old model kit. It would be cheap, reliable (the Dakota was) and would be fun to drive for a while.
With a plan in mind, the search was on for an acceptable body to cover a chassis. The perimeters were pretty simple, it had to be pre 55, of the Mopar family, and cheap, the cheaper, the better. After a few months, I located a 48 Plymouth business coupe. The guy that was selling it made sure I knew it was in bad shape, but it fit the perimeters, and it was only about 50 miles from home! My wife and I went and looked at it. We both knew the plan, and it fit the plan. The guy told me he could get $200 for it as scrap, or he would sell it to me for that same $200. That was a Sunday afternoon. I mad arrangements to borrow a trailer and went back and picked the car up Thursday night. That was in April, 2010.

I've got pictures, it going to be a pita to load them 1 at a time. This picture is of the car where it was sitting when I bought it.

6926049-48coupe001.jpg (593 downloads)