Call Cass Eslick aka Dr. Diff out in Montana. He can set you up with a Strange 60. We went the S60 route with a Detroit Tru-Trac. Has worked great. The 8-3/4 brakes bolted right up, which saved some coin.

Tried to find a Dana in a junkyard, but decided the time spent to find one, change gears, put in limited slip of some type, weld on axle ends was better spent doing what I do well, which is designing boats, and paying Cass for brand new parts that showed up in a nice crate.

Oh yeah, on our 8-3/4 the spider gears broke, the left axle shaft twisted off and the right one was twisted like you show. There were also signs of the ring gear hitting the housing. Same deal, stout 383, heavy car (70 RR) 4 speed, slicks. Now that we have a Performance Only 452 I am really good that we have the S60.

The problem was, no matter what axles I put in, the spider gears would be the same. I would have to back brace the housing (welding, distortion, straightening), buy new shafts etc so went right to overkill.

Bummer about the breakage regardless.

I will also mention might want to think about a different clutch too since we are all spending your money with our suggestions. I have been very pleased with our Tim Hyatt built Mcleod based Soft-Lock. Loosen it up for the track, tighten it up for the street.

Last edited by David_in_St_Croi; 09/25/11 10:30 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/THENEWCDRA

Proud member of the liberal scientific elite