Hey guys,

got the car out riding on the street and I seem to be running into some problems with the 1-2 shift. Im using a vertigate shifter and when i go to shift from 1-2nd, especially when cold, it grinds going in. I decided to not really lay into it until it got warmer, and if i just accelerate like a normal car in traffic all seems to be fine on the shift. However under full throttle or even part throttle getting on it, it keeps grinding on the 1-2 shift, but not on the 2-3 or 3-4...this is most of the time though as I took my pops for a ride to see what he thought and low and behold it was okay on the 1-2 shift. At first I thought I may not be pushing the clutch pedal down enough, but i dont think its that (mind you i find that my pedal does go quite far so maybe im just not used to it yet? but its only from 1-2nd which I find fishy). Also sometimes when down gearing from 3rd to 2nd I find the same grinding occurs unless im really slowing down before going into 2nd

Im not sure what the problem could be...would it have to be a synchro that needs replacing? They all looked fine last time transmission was apart. I set the freeplay to the factory 1" of travel at the pedal spec, but it didnt make a difference (had closer to 2" before)

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Im really hoping the trans doesnt have to come out and taken apart again, but it seems to be looking that way. Its definitely not the shifter as I do have that dialed in nice (stop for second was too far in before and it would not engage 2nd fully and jump out...im wondering if that could have damaged the synchro?)

The trans is an a-body unit built in september 1969. The clutch is a centerforce dual friction and im using GM synchromesh fluid in it. It does seem to be leaking from the input shaft so im going to have to pull it to reseal that regardless. I do have the synchro to replace it as an old chrysler guy was gracious enough to give it to me, but im wondering if it even is a synchro issue? should I be looking for something else first before confirming its a synchro?

any opinions and suggestions are welcome!