The skirts were scuffed and lightly scratched, but they cleaned up nicely by glass bead blasting and green scotch brite pads. The cylinders honed out nicely. I dont foresee oil consumption being a problem now. As stated, he found that the oil rings had lost all their tension, so oil was slipping by them, then past the worn compression rings.
I dont understand the reference to putting in the 3rd cam.... The compression #s looked consistant. If testing showed unusually low #s on even one hole I would have dug deeper. I have replaced dead cams in motors before and didnt remember any problems. The '509 cam looks great still. I credit that to the use of Valvoline VR1 oil AND the Comp Cams additive. I started using the higher grade oil AFTER the 2 cams went bad and I did some research on the subject. I have built several motors in my time, but this is the first one geared toward real performance. Its also the first one with valvesprings STIFFER than stock. The first cam went bad in 2006. If this car were driven daily I'm sure that the problems would have cropped up sooner, but I drive it maybe 1000 miles per year.