Quote:

Oil consumption is huge in detonation problems. I can't see you actual cranking number being more than 190 lb and with aluminum heads you should be fine.

I believe quench is less critical with aluminum heads than iron heads.
Quench should allow the same power at less spark lead than a less than perfect quench motor but I am sure people over rate it mostly on their magazine learnen not 100% the best sources.

While I agree oil can/will cause detonation your inference that quench is over rated & magazine "learnen" to me suggests you haven't built any motors with effective quench...
I've played with hotrods for 30+ years & early on I foolishly trusted my machine shops to spec & build my motors.. They never ran like I thought they should.. Now I do everything but the machine work & I measure the work very accurately... I hold a tight quench which has often required more trips to the machine shop because most local shops even "performance" shops seem to be conservative or just plain sloppy... If you trust the numbers your given & don't measure it yourself you really don't know what you've got.. The O/P's .017 in the hole is exactly what my pistons spec at.. But they measured between .023 & .029 because the decks weren't at blueprint spec & they weren't square.... If his .017 number is a measured number than he's on the borderline of quench/no quench.. But if his pistons are actually over .020 in the hole he has no quench effect at all... I'd rather see the number under .040...

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."