Here you go..It is a Cali thing. here it is from thier site. It cannot be more confusing trust me. My coach is UNDER 40' but if the combined length of the coach and trailer is over 65 you need the Class B. That is until you go the the DMV office and ask, then you get the dear in the headlights look....However when you follow the links and read the book from the CA DMV you are not required to have a class B on a coach under 40', states nothing about o/a length if your coach is under 40' BTW as part of the skills test if you have a coach equipped with air brakes you are NOT required to pass the air brake system test Some states make it very difficult to be a law abiding citizen.

Over-Length Motorhome: An over-length motorhome is a single-unit motorhome that is longer than 40 feet but not more than 45 feet. (Note: A vehicle combination, e.g. a motorhome towing a vehicle or trailer, may be up to 65 feet length. If the single-unit motorhome is 40 feet or less in length, the combination is not subject to the over-length motorhome restrictions.)

Motorhome: A motorhome is a noncommercial passenger vehicle defined in the California Vehicle Code (CVC) Section 465 as a "house car" and commonly referred to as a recreation vehicle. CVC 362 defines "house car" as "a motor vehicle originally designed, or permanently altered, and equipped for human habitation, or to which a camper has been permanently attached." A motorhome should not to be confused with a bus (CVC 233) or a tour bus (CVC 612), also called "motorcoach," which is used for commercial passenger transportation and requires a commercial driver license to operate. See also Public Utilities Code 5360-5379.5 and 226.

BACKGROUND

The basic California length law for vehicles is 40 feet unless specifically exempted. On October 9, 2001, Governor Davis signed Assembly Bill (AB) 67 which changed the California Vehicle Code (CVC) to allow motorhomes over 40 feet in length, up to 45 feet, on certain routes. Over-length motorhomes are allowed on interstates and on those State routes that can accommodate them.

A Noncommercial Class B license and endorsement is required if you operate:

•A housecar over 40 feet but not over 45 feet.
Exemptions: Holders of a commercial Class A or B license, a noncommercial Class A license, and all fire fighter license classes

DRIVER LICENSE REQUIREMENTS

The CVC requires a motorhome endorsement on a noncommercial class B driver license issued by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The pertinent CVC sections are copied below under "Legal History."

Application: Click on this DMV website for commercial vehicle licensing and scroll down to these three topics: "How to apply for a noncommercial driver license," "Requirements for a Noncommercial Class B driver permit," and "Requirements for a Noncommercial Class B driver license." The driver must pass a written and skills examination (i.e. a driving test), submit a specified medical form, and pay a $34 fee. You may use the on-line DMV booklet Recreational Vehicles & Trailers (DL-648) to prepare for the exam. The booklet may also be available at the local DMV field offices that test motorhomes. To set up an appointment, or locate a booklet, you may call DMV at 1-800-777-0133.

The medical exam must be repeated every two years. The license is valid for approximately five years.

Out-of-State Drivers: Non-residents visiting California may not operate an over-length motorhome unless in possession of an out-of-state driver license authorizing the operation of that vehicle. See CVC Section 12804.15(b)(2) which is also copied below under "Legal History."

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"