Quote:

MOPARTS members will find this interesting. I may have my facts wrong, so please cut me a little slack.

I think the first NHRA National ET Bracket Finals was held in Pomona in 1980.

The winner was Mike Mortimer. Mike's home track was 75-80.

I'm pretty sure that you are right. After winning Pomona, he was offered a full sponsorship in 1981 from a local mopar car owner (Richard Higley who recently passed away). He drove a Scott Shafiroff style dragster (with front brakes) with a 355 W2 NASCAR style mopar motor that Mike and I built. It ran 9.40's, which in the day, was pretty fast, considering how heavy the dragster was. Since I was part of the "team", Higley let me drive a 72 big block Charger in Street. We both made it to the Division finals and made it four rounds. The next year, we mostly experimented with running Alky in a smallblock powered 70 cuda with moderate success (Alky was fairly new back then and there was little equipment geared towards using it.) After that, he got tired of driving for someone else and went back to driving his Duster, got a bunch of track championships there and sold everything in the early 90's. We are still good friends and I talk to him at least once a week (he is into the Harley scene now; no more racing). Jon

2012 422 Allstars NSS Champion
2013 422 Allstars NSS Champion
2014 422 Allstars NSS Champion