Quote:

there was a guy named Anatol out of Vineland, NJ who was selling a B5 blue 71 hemi Challenger with a TA Hood,years ago . i'm sure it was coded for N96 [/quote

The car did have the N94 air cleaner on it in 1983 or 84 when I traded the second owner of that car an NOS stock air cleaner for his N94 Hemi air cleaner. I needed it to put on top of the 65 race Hemi that I was running in my black A12 Runner. I found the air cleaner completely by coincidence at an NHOA meet in York, PA within one month after getting the Hemi running in my A12. The A12 hood opening let you see the whole top of the motor and it was fate that I found that air cleaner for my car. I showed it with the Hemi in it for about 6 years from The Nats to Englishtown, year in year out. The air cleaner made the Hemi look like right at home in the Road Runner with that A12 hood! When I found the air cleaner, Walt Downer showed up just as we were sealing the deal and tried to talk the guy out of going thru with it. The guy (from the Upstate NY area)was very straight and said a deal was a deal. He would not have traded me unless I could get an expert to interpret his fender tag to prove it was not an N94 cold air hood car. He was very happy to get the correct air cleaner for his car. Walt Downer ended up with the car before Anatole got it. Walt Downer had added a few non original things on the car including the wheel lip moldings. At one point, Downer tried to get the air cleaner back from me after I got the 440-6 back in my car. I was willing to trade him for a pair of Hemi exhaust manifolds. We made a deal over the phone. He showed up with the manifolds but he backed out because a friend of his convinced him the manifolds were worth more than the N94 air cleaner. Needless to say, I did not have any good experiences in trying to deal with Downer...I ended up selling it to a friend of Bill Drake's for $750 in the early 90's. It went on a pink E-body racing in upstate NY. Here's what it looked like in my black A12. You can see the depression in the back of the seal where the steel hood from the blue Challenger was biting into it. It might have been put on it at the factory by accident? No one knows for sure why it was on that Challenger?

Last edited by RoadRunnerJD; 04/04/10 04:40 PM.