I'm curious to see the replies on this one. I'm a fan of daily running on the lowest grade (cost) fuel, and racing on the highest pump grade. Most engine builders I've talked to question why anyone would build a motor like that. My answer is that I've watched the octane rating drop thoughout the years and the price of fuel go up. Not everyone builds a race engine, but most tend to race the engine they build.

I built an 87 octane RB that is alot like a 2.2 engine. By that I mean a cast block and aluminum heads, with about 9.3 compression. I chose a cam and chassis for broadest torque where I drive the most. The torque is shameless, the chassis hooks with DOT's, and is a joy to drive. No tall gears or high stall converter required. Low 12's with high 11 mph at 4,000 lbs.

I think I know what you are after, but I haven't done it with a small block yet.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!