I've recently replaced the intake and carb on my 1970 440 and have an issue I'd like some real world direction on before I tear into the carb.
I had an Edelbrock performer RPM intake and a Holley 850 Double pumper on the car previously. The car ran well, and was great leaving a stoplight either in my neighborhood at low speeds or when moving off the line a little quicker This combo was really too tall for the stock hood and I wanted a more stock appearing engine compartment.
I swaped in a 1971 square bore iron 440 intake and an Edelbrock #1411 750 cfm vac secondary carb. I'm OK with the overall performance of this combo as this car is a driver and I'm willing to trade maximum performance for street manners.
The issue I have is an off idle stumble at light throttle; I need to give the car much more throttle to leave a stop smoothly than I did with the Holley. If I rev it up and slip the clutch more, it works great, but at light throttle it stumbles/bogs.
I've been reading on the internet and this seems to be a fairly common issue with this carb on larger displacement engines.
Has anyone had real experience with these, I just wanted a reality check before I go tearing into this carb and spend a bunch of money and time for marginal results!
Thanks!
Scott

Last edited by 70Sbird; 09/08/09 08:38 AM.