Quote:

Looking for a used 2500 CTD and was wondering if any years are better than others.Looking for info
on complete truck(auto trans,manual trans,brakes,suspension,and so on)

I prefer the first gens. 89-93.89-90.5 are non Intercooled so that might sell cheaper. I also prefer the 12 valves for ease of upkeep/repair. They can be had up to 98 mid year or so. If your really lucky, you can find a 98 12V with the quad cab (first year is 98).The automatic first gens are slouches. Converters are junk. A good aftermarket one is about $600-$750 from DTT or Goerend. The manual ones ,NV4500 beats out the Getrag in strength if your going to tune it up or heavy tow.The 2nd gens 98-02ish are decent 24Valves. Way easy to get hidin HP from a programmer/tuner (Bullydog and such) but some people tend to dislike the commonrail fuel system around here. Not sure why. Not sure of the first year for it but a manual six speed NV5600 came with them too.

The first gens can be had cheaper (usually) but I've seen them bring big bucks too. Depends on which body style you prefer. I have never driven one with really great brakes. Only good, mediocre braking. If you go first gen. Watch for the KDP (Killer Dowel Pin). It's behind the timing case and quite involved to fix. Also check the IP (Injection Pump) and look to see if the tamper proof caps are still in place. If so, nobodys turned it up. Minimal time and money invested on a 12V can gain alot of hidin power. My

Vinny