I've had my 2001 2500 with a Cummins and six speed stick for 9 years and it's been great. Bullet proof, still starts and runs like new, no squeaks, no rattles. Only issue is the air doesn't blow real cold anymore, I have to have it checked.

The HO motor and the six speed really make for a great tow or camper truck. It's also fun to row through the gears with 500+ ft/lbs on tap for day to day driving. You start in second unless you're towing so it's like having a five speed. I don't have a cat, so I can do any power adder mods or exhaust I want and still be legal. The 2001 and later have better brakes imo. Late 2001 and later have four wheel disc brakes.

I bought the six speed because it a very heavy duty trans. The transfer case is a 241HD with a Dana 80 rear diff and Dana 60 front diff. The regular cab models have a one piece drive shaft, no center support bearing which is a good thing imo.

The only way I'd buy an automatic is if it already had an after market built heavy duty trans and converter or be ready to spend the $3500 or so to upgrade a stocker. That's just my opinion, I have no experience with the stock auto trans, but I've heard enough about them to figure it's a "gotta have" mod on an automatic equipped truck.

Steering wander is a big issue on the 4x4s. I found it's because of the tires. I had 305/70/16 Pro Comps and it was rock steady steering. I replaced them with 295/75/16 Nittos and the sucker wanderd alot until I got used to it. I would not put any tire on one that has a larger than 70 aspect ratio.

Patriot blue with Skyjacker suspension...