I retired back in April and have been on Medicare since then. Part A is free.....well, I paid for it my whole adult/working life. My Part B is $161 per month. Part D, which is prescription medicine, is $14 per month, as i only have 3 generics. I purchased a Part G thru an insurance agent and it's $173 per month. Part G is a supplement to cover whatever Parts A & B doesn't. So far, I am still paying Cobra coverage for dental and vision for my wife 7 I thru my former employer. I need to get that figured out before September, because I will no longer be eligible for Cobra at that time. My Part G is thru Blue Cross Blue Shield of NC. I'm pretty healthy for 66 and haven't had to pressure test the new to me insurance and Medicare yet, but I am confident that it will be just fine.
Study all that you can about it before you reach 65 and pick the supplement plans that work best for you. Pay attention to the dates for the enrollment period and be sure to meet the deadlines. There is no family plan with Medicare, so you and your wife will each have separate plans. Encourage your son to be thinking about his own insurance when you are both on Medicare. I always paid extra for the Mack Daddy health plan thru work. It paid off in the long run because like most people, I never used it when I was young, but then got some crazy Gastro stuff with a blood infection and clots in 2018. Spent 2 weeks in the hospital with them running a million tests before they figured out what was wrong with me. My part for all that was about $1600. I picked a Plan G supplement that mimics my insurance plan I had in 2018. Good luck to you Jim. I know you'll handle it just fine. up