SUCCESS!!!

I was having an issue where the alternator was not charging, had the alt tested and it was good, did some more research onthe net and on this nova site:

http://www.novaresource.org/alternator.htm

I found this paragraph:
Quote:

You need to purchase a conversion adapter that is just 2 short wires and 2 connectors. One is a CS connector to plug into the alternator, the other is a female connector to accept the SI plug from your original harness. There are two different types of conversion adapters. One is a non-resistor and the other has some resistance built-in it. The "L" wire that energizes the alternator needs some resistance (35 ohms or more) in it otherwise it will cause the alternator to fail. If you have a warning light in the dash then that bulb serves as the needed resistance and you should use the non-resistor adapter. If you don't have that bulb or have less than 35 ohms resistance in the "L" wire then you will need the adapter with resistance built in. If the "L" wire has more than 350 ohms then there is a problem with that wire and it will need to be fixed.

even though I measured 220 ohms in the wire as suggested by blown71x and other internet sites, the above information cased me to think, lets try another resistance, so I swapped out the 220 ohm resistor for a 100 ohm resisteor and whala! the alternator charges!!

now, I get 14+vdc at idle, and with all the accessories and the 30 amp electric fans on, I get 13 vdc, charging issues solved...

The only problem I have, and it could be an issue, is that with the 383's, the bottom mounting hole does not line up, so I made a 1.5" extension piece of flat metal to extend the bottom bracket so it does not hit the fan. While it looks hokey and backyard, it works. For the RB motors, looking at the geometry, it looks like this is a direct bolt in, butthe fact that the b blocks have less height in them it changes the geometry just enough where the alternator fan hits the bottom bracket.

When I get a chance I will post some pics of the "modification" and tehn get to work on making a new bottom bracket.

• 67 coronet 4dr, 383/727/GVOD, blown, EFI, daily driver
  • 230/238, 114°LSA cam, 1.6 rollers, 9:1 comp, 8 psi boost
  • NEW BEST ET - 12.40@110mph...