Quote:

I've got a link at home to someone that makes a kit for 100+ amps out of a square back and round back alternator.
What's wrong with doing that and keeping the stock looking unit?

Show me one of those that actually will have ANY idle output amperage and i`ll go back in my hole, as I said before THE only way any of the old style mopar alternators will do anything worthy of getting excited about is if lightening hits them....You can put perfume on a pig....it`s STILL a pig.

challengermike
The original feed for the inside of the car comes from the fuse link at the starter relay stud, which is hooked to the positive battery cable, in the wiring diagram you will notice there is a 8 guage wire from the alternator output stud to the battery positive, With the original amp guage wire ALSO hooked to the alternator stud you have now essentially jumped across the 2 amp guage wires eliminating current flow thru the guage but giving you 2 wires and close to double the current carrying capability to feed the inside.
THE sole reason it is wired this way is to give the owner a option to have a better charging system and NOT have to hack up a factory harness should it be needed to be returned to stock.
It is NOT necessary to hook it up this way if you either prefer to do an internal guage bypass at the cluster and feed it directly from the battery/starter relay, or don`t care about keeping things so they can be returned at some point. All that is required and mandatory is the 8 guage from the alternator to the battery positive. No matter which way you choose, PLEASE make sure this wire is protected either by fuse link or a proper sized fuse/breaker.

Rick