Originally Posted by AndyF
Get to the shop and tear it down before you make any decisions. If the block isn't cracked and the bearings all look good then I'd put a small dome on it to get the compression up to 13:1 or whatever the commonly available fuel at your track will handle. With new pistons I'd go with good rings but 4.375 isn't a super popular ring size so you kind of have to take what you can get.

Do you know what the actual stall speed is in the car? Launch stall and shift recovery stall? You usually need a data recorder or play back tach or something like that to know that number. If the stall speed going down the track is only 4500 then you could drop some time by going with a higher stall converter. With those heads and that camshaft you'll go faster if you can keep the engine in the 6000 to 7000 band all the way down the track. You are probably running 7300 or 7400 RPM at the stripe? I'm not sure where the peak power is with that combo but it could be right there in the low 7000 range.

I don't know the actual launch stall or shift recovery. I have considered putting a Go Pro in the car. In the 1/4 @7200 we were on the rev limiter. I had to set the rev limiter to 7400. He doesn't really run the 1/4 any more though. Transmission specialties built the convertor for the old combo that made a little less power. We sent them the dyno sheet of this combo and they said we didn't need a new stall. Although we really don't know where peak power is. We stopped at 6500 on the dyno every pull. I set his shift rpm at 6800. Depending on the track I set his launch at 3200 or 4000.
I am still working on him to build an aftermarket block.