Originally Posted by Sniper

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. I already hear people in the US demanding people with behaviors they do not approve of be denied or charged more for health care. The company I work for charges $50 more a month for health insurance if you smoke and another $50 if your spouse smokes. Won;t take too much longer before some politician notices they are missing out on that "fee" and wants to make it universal.

Yeah, private insurance companies have been doing that forever. For example, in Canada when you buy life insurance, it's more expensive if you are a smoker. The govt healthcare is not set up like that. If you are a smoker you get the same healthcare as a non-smoker. It comes out of everybody's taxes so nobody is singled out. Likewise other unhealthy habits, like eating fattening food, drinking alcohol, smoking pot, skydiving, motor racing, or even illegally driving recklessly on a highway and causing a car accident in which you are injured will not get you denied healthcare. It's just not the way it is set up, and it would be political suicide for any politician to ever suggest denying healthcare due to lifestyle choices. Nobody's talking about it, and it will never happen. I think a lot of people have overactive imaginations because of Covid, and other societal issues or political beliefs (mostly brought about by stuff they read/watch on the internet).

Mind you, that's not saying that govt healthcare is perfect. Canadian politicians have underfunded healthcare for decades, allowing it to slip to the point where it was just functioning on the edge of collapse (or just below, IMHO, as cracks were already showing before Covid). Covid put it over the edge, or at least brought out how badly it has been mismanaged by each province (healthcare is managed provincially in Canada. Note: a province in Canada is equivalent to a state in the US). Now, polling in Canada is showing that one of peoples' top concerns is the state of healthcare, and the politicians are scrambling to throw money at it to get it fixed. They know that they will not get votes if they don't do something to fix the mess that it has become.

That's just some back information. The main contention that alcohol consumption recommendations will lead to hard limits leading to denied healthcare are completely false, and without merit in any way, shape, or form. I'll tell you, Canadians generally like their drink, and any politician who tried to put this into play would get voted out so fast they wouldn't know what hit them. That's a fact.

Also, there have always been alcohol consumption recommendations... it used to be 2 drinks per day for men, and 1 drink per day for women. Yet... people have been freely buying and drinking as much alcohol as they want for as long as I can remember. Health recommendation for smoking has long been 'don't smoke'... but people still buy them and smoke them, get lung cancer and get cancer treatment in hospitals. Nobody is intentionally denied healthcare.

Which is different than the fact that underfunded and understaffed healthcare has been causing hospitals to close, or to randomly shut down their ER because they don't have the personnel to staff it. Heck, a woman at a rural hospital about 2 hours away from me went to the ER for severe abdominal pains, and was waiting in the understaffed ER for 6 hours and eventually died. Had she received proper treatment, she would have lived, and she was a wife and mother of 2 in her thirties! Totally unacceptable, and the citizens will not stand for it - they are demanding that this get fixed but unfortunately it takes many years to build it back up. Not to mention that medical school spots have been limited, and many graduates end up practicing in the more-lucrative US hospitals. On the other hand, I'm not sure that a poorer person in the US without healthcare insurance would have had any better treatment than that woman who died locally - I mean, I really don't know because I have no experience with private healthcare driven by insurance funding.

Regardless, I'm not here to debate govt healthcare vs privately paid healthcare, but I hate to see bad information being tossed around as if it were real. I don't want to say any more as I think I am getting too close to this being about politics... and I don't want to go there. twocents