What would happen if you put (plumbed) a radiator, any material radiator, in a vacuum by itself? Of course, being a vacuum there is no air, so how would it cool or dissipate that heat? When we started water cooling off road/MX motorcycle engines the engineers reminded me that the engines are not necessarily "water cooled" as the water (coolant/anti-freeze) is just the "medium" for taking the heat from the engine (combustion, friction i.e, clutch friction) to a place that it can more efficiently dissipate that heat, by transferring it to a larger surface and then having it transferred to the air via airflow over the surface of a radiator as an example. So airflow is the key and not just the number of veins or surface area. We also stopped painting the radiators with black paint and found a somewhat clear coating that dissipated heat much better that paint. Most forget about airflow and if you still think airflow has not much to do with it, watch a NASCAR race sometime and watch how a hotdog wrapper will overheat a car in only lap or less. Then watch how a crew member will take and put a small piece of duct tape on the grill or air intake to get the temp back up or peel it off to cool it down. AIRFLOW. As mentioned the radiator shroud and the fan plays a bigger part on how the cooling system works IMO than the row layout, just me and my twocents

Mike