With the floors cut, and the cab sat down on the frame, it was time to match everything up. I want to note that the original firewall cleared everything on the motor at this time. Unfortunately, that original firewall had been modified before my time with it. Someone hacked in a steering column and added a firewall mounted booster and master cylinder. There were many large holes where I didn't want them, and flat steel where I needed holes. I was going to have to offset the steering column and the master cylinder/booster location. At this point, the desire to use as much original Dakota equipment took over. Measurements told me that if I used the firewall out of my donor truck, I would be able to use the factory steering column mounting, the original gas pedal assembly, the original HVAC box, and most of the original wire harness opening through the firewall, and then there were not many holes I didn't need.
When I cut the firewall out of the donor Dakota, I cut it extra big. While I was cutting, I also cut the donor's trans tunnel.
Pic 1, This is the best pic I have of the original firewall. The plan was to remove all the firewall between the ribs on each side, and under the rib across the top, and at the bottom of the angle.
Pic 2, Out with the old.
Pic 3, A little closer look at the destruction. A plasma cutter and a few hours later.
Pic 4, In with the new. The top and sides ae welded together. Notice the long shadows? That was a very long day!
Next installment.

P1010263.JPGP1010271.JPGP1010270.JPGP1010272.JPG
Last edited by poorboy; 03/13/22 08:50 PM.