Quote:

Here is my take on the Pinion Snubber. I have been into muscle cars and drag racing since the late 60's and I remember most of the Mopar performance bulletins in the late 60's and 70's would tell us to use the pinion snubber and most local bracket racers did use them back then. I always figured that the experts thought with the rear end twist they figured that the pinion snubber would rest it on the car body when it contacted the underbody and the car weight would help plant the tires. I guess most Mopar racers just figured it worked because the experts told us it did. Maybe it does work on some cars and maybe it don't work on others. It depends on the suspension setup and of course worn out springs will most likely make a snubber help. Now it's 2006 and even the local bracket racer seems to run caltracks nowadays and the technology has suspension's working good so most feel you don't need the pinion snubber anymore. Now this is just the way it has looked to me over the years. I can't blame a racer for using a pinion snubber because years ago Mopar said it was one of the best things to help your Mopar hook up. Did it work ??? It depends on who you ask. I ran one for years back in the 70's on my 66 Dart with a 4-speed and worn out springs with air shocks. It had a mild 340 in it and it ran a best of 11.90's @ 112 back in 1981. So I guess it hooked ok for 9" slicks and air shocks. I really don't know if it helped that much or not but I do know we have the 002 and 003 SS springs on my boys Dart street car. And I know it's best 60 ft is a 1.61 without the pinion snubber on it. We had it on the car a year ago and it made no difference. So to answer the question of does a pinion snubber work ???? All I can say is try it and see how it does on your car. Some say it works and some say it don't help at all. It can't hurt to try it and find out for yourself. Ron

I've been driving mopars since the late sixties also and went the PS route because Chrysler said to. When I started racing my HEMI roadrunner in the late '70s, I had the stock HEMI springs with a snubber. The next year I removed the snubber and just clamped the front section of the springs and removed the bands on the rear half. The car planted the tires harder. Later on I switched back to the snubber just to see what would happen. No improvement...In 1980 I switched to super/stock springs with high hopes of better E/Ts...Didn't happen. My stock springs were just as good.......So I guess it comes down to what you believe. oh yeah...I went 10.60s at almost 129mph Hemi roadruuner racing pictures

Last edited by newBee68; 09/19/06 12:43 PM.