Originally Posted by A12
Originally Posted by jcc
IMO, it was about government control and "rights", not whether Nader's concerns had merit relative to safety.

Read some of the FMVSS standards and point out where citizen's "rights" are being compromised or taken away? As for government control it's their duty to protect the safety of ALL of the people on PUBLIC roads and highways and to minimize or prevent manufactures from making unsafe vehicles or product. All that the FMVSS regulations are and were about was to set the "official" written rules on how the game is played just like every sport, business, etc., BTW it had been tried, and tried by others (including Chrysler) to get those written play rules into place for a long time preceding Ralph Nader. Ralph just happened to write a book that GM knew if it wasn't discredited quickly they would be forced into making cars safer and there goes the "styling" and marketing they would rather dump money into to maintain their market dominance at that time. Well it backfired. I don't care who gained or lost, the rules were written, legislation passed by people elected to do so and the world is a safer place IMO. READ THE BOOK or at least the first few chapters and then we can continue this catfight wink

Believe me Chrysler was privately pushing for the FMVSS standard to go into play......the evidence is how quickly they achieved most all of the FMVSS standards with the 1968 model year cars. There was an initial partial regulation two year phase-in period starting in 1966 and if you look at any '68 Monroney Label "window sticker" it runs down the added safety features (on the right of the label) and not one of those features took someone's "rights" away or forced them to put their seat belts on. I still don't see what bad came out of FMVSS??? shruggy

I put "rights" in quotations, it was far from my central concern here, I believe you are preaching to the choir.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.