Isn't The Google a wonderful thing?

Hi guys. Just checking in to give this thread a quick bump
and add an anecdote about recent developments.

I just got off the phone with someone who had some interesting stories to share. Having an "I wonder what ever happened to...?" moment, he did a search on Mod Squad Challenger. After finding this thread in the search results, he reached out to me via email. His story is this:

A few years ago, he retired from a career as a professional photographer. He worked initially free-lance, and then ended up running the the entire photography department for a national specialty retailer you would have heard of. It was during his freelance days (early 1973) that he sold a rusty Porsche Speedster and from La Brea Dodge bought a used Challenger convertible (license plate 113 AEG) because it had a bigger trunk to hold all his photography gear. He drove the heck out of the car during 1973, both around the greater L.A. area, and out to gigs in Palm Springs. Late that same year (1973), he sold the car to Huntington Beach Chrysler-Plymouth, so he could "upgrade" into a VW Bus (to hold all his photography gear...). He says that in those days, the car was still quite stunning, with only a small ding in the leading edge of the still-original hood, and a very slight orange-ing of the interior. At one point he was in the Sav-on parking lot at the corner of Ventura and Laurel Canyon. He was approached by Glen Campbell, who said "Beautiful Car. It was in The Mod Squad". Of course, this was news to Mr Photographer, and stuck in his memory to this day.

Yes, this is hearsay, and not provenance. Still makes for an interesting story.

Alas, Mr. Photographer never took any pictures of the car back then (nor, he observes, did he snap any photos of his dog).

The ownership path makes sense, with the car leaving the production company and finding it's way directly [or through an intermediate owner] onto the used car lot on La Brea. After Mr. Photographer is done with it, it again goes to a used car lot down in Huntington Beach. From there, it gets purchased by the local family (whose name I forget), who munches and repairs the hood, and then sells it to me (still in HB).

As for today (see attached), it has the red interior back in place. The numbers engine is rebuilt, and waiting for the engine bay to be primed and painted. It is looking 50/50 for making it to MATS this March.

Going back to rarely visits status now. If you want to contact me, do so via email (in my profile and seen earlier in this thread), and not via a PM which I will never know is waiting.

carl_challenger.jpg

Down to just a blue car now.