Hi guys... long time, no see.

I was coincidentally stopping in to check out the "[not] flying hellcat" thread that a MCSD club member pointed out, and I couldn't help noticing this thread about the 1970 Mod Squad Challenger R/T convertible.

As you know, TV shows and movies typically use multiple identical cars, if the car is going to be central to the plot line. Furthermore, cars registered at the same time at the same DMV location get sequential plates. The car seen on screen sports the CA license plate 112 AEG. For about four decades, I had the twin of the car (or perhaps THE car, with switched plates) in my possession. It originally carried the CA plate number 113 AEG.

Most of that time, all I knew was that it was a moderately rare car, with a bizarre combination of options. When The Mod Squad came out on DVD, I had a Holy Shhhhh...mokes moment, when I saw my car on the screen. By that time, I had not a clue as to how to prove provenance, as everyone associated with the show was probably dead, senile, or didn't give a rat's behind about some project they worked on briefly, way back when.

Galen was the first one to point out that it was probably built for PR work (ads, TV, or movies), as it carried a Q- order number (Executive Lease or PR). Coupled with the almost-never-seen combination of A/C + clear glass made the PR story even more likely.

Two years ago, when I bought the Hellcat, I sent RTRAGTP to a good friend up north, who had been lusting after the car for many years. He is right now putting it back to the way it was born (as I had changed the interior to black many years ago). I am sure that he would appreciate any additional info that might come out of publicity this thread generates.

Almost all of my paperwork and notes went with the car, but here are the particulars as I remember them. Please excuse the fact that I am not a walking/talking white book, able to spout build codes at will.

I purchased it from a private party (who mentioned nothing about TV history) in about 1977 or 1978. I passed the baton in early 2016.

It was a "real" JS27N0B 383 magnum R/T convertible.
FE5 red with black longitudinal R/T stripes
383 Magnum callouts on the hood, but no hood blackout
Full "Challenger" raised center wheel covers
A/C, P/S, P/B (front disks), power windows, CLEAR GLASS (so less camera distortion)
Deluxe seat belts (that's a "fasten seat belts" light on the dash, not a reverse light)
Red interior, and a COLUMN SHIFT (so actors can slide across easily)
AM/8-track radio with 3-speaker dash

M63 "S/E" bling (yes, I know there's no such thing as an R/T-S/E convertible). I am not sure what 6bblgt means about "belt mouldings", but this WAS an early build car. It had the rear argent panel, chrome on the front valence, back of the hood, along the top of the doors, and around the convertible boot (it's actually where the clips go that secure the convertible boot when the top is down and covered).

Although I pointed out the clear glass to anyone who would listen (and some who weren't listening) at the photo shoots using the car, it was only the director of the Budweiser commercial who appreciated the fact.

Click here to view the Budweiser commercial on Youtube

resize06.JPGresize05.JPG
Last edited by moparts; 01/21/20 01:56 PM.

Down to just a blue car now.