Originally Posted by 496 A-body
So I go to pick up the align honed block today. A 2 guy shop, one guy was working on an engine torquing down a head, other guy standing there watching him.
I say I'm there to pick up the block, let him know that he really misrepresented the cost and that this was a budget build and if he was upfront on what he was going to charge I would have found another source.
The story changed, today he didn't claim that they charge per main cap, today they story was that they had to cut the caps to get the bore in spec and that drove the cost up.
I found this very odd considering I bore gauged the main bore and found it was in spec, the reason I wanted it align honed was because the surface of the cap that mates to the block was not flat, it rocked a good bit on my surface plate and I replaced the factory torque to yield fasteners.
I personally surface ground the mating surface of the caps making sure that the same amount was taken of each one relative to the radius.
Pics below

No offense, but I would not have line honed your block after you cut the caps. That's part of the line hone, if they need it. There is no way your surface plate cuts a cap like a dedicated cap cutter.

You should have asked them how long it took to clean up the caps after you cut them.

Again, no offense.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston