One thing I want to mention concerns the citric acid de-rusting. I am very pleased with the results but have a word of caution if the parts you de-rust are going to a machine shop. Most of the jet washes use a caustic solution as the cleaner which is a base. As acids and bases react with each other it is very important to clean/neutralize any residual acid from the parts to prevent foaming in the jet wash (yeah found out the hard way). In addition to a clean water rinse and air drying the parts before I send them in I am now adding a quick soak in water and baking soda followed by another clean water rinse and blow dry before I send the parts to the machine shop.

I did get the block picked up and de-rusted.

BR by M Patterson, on Flickr

I didn't get a picture of the block after it's soak, but it came out as clean as the rest of the parts. The one surprise on the block was that at some point it had already been bored to .030 .....and then driven enough to wear it out again. I'm pretty sure it can go out to at least .060 and the sonic check should tell me it will take the additional .065 to get it to 3.9375 354 bore size.

While my wrist is healing Dave at the machine shop should be able to get a lot of the initial machining done so I can get some decisions made about the pistons and cam.

Last edited by Mike P; 01/03/19 08:46 AM.

1957 Plymouth (Hemi, Dual Quads, A833 4 Speed 9 1/4 w 4.10) Sold
1937 Dodge Pickup (Hemi, 6X2 intake, 46RH, Dana 60 w 4.56) Sold
1968 Plymouth Valiant 2dr sedan (354 HEMI, 46RH w/4.30 gears)