I have also been told that there is more power moving the injector away from the runner. The trade off is that it is harder to tune drive ability, not impossible just more difficult. With some EFI systems you can adjust Injector Timing to work it closer to the intake valve opening. There isn't much peak power to be found there but better torque numbers by adjusting injector timing at lower RPMS.

I have even heard of people using a much larger injector than needed and timing the injection event to only happen when the intake valve is open, it reduces fuel being blown back into the intake and helps peak torque numbers. This is all info I got at a tuning class, no first hand but the guy has lots of experience with engine masters entry and some winners even.

Check this video out to see an EFI system doing more than most. This is a Megasquirt 3 Using Closed loop tuning with 8 02 sensors and per cylinder correction. It's interesting to see all the different corrections for each cylinder and how different they are until the intake starts to flow properly at RPM and then they start to line up. You can have this ECU for about $750....8 02 sensors extra of course. For reference on the trim gauges 100% is no correction, anything under it is pulling fuel and anything over it is adding from the base tune.

https://youtu.be/6kQGp-fHuFc

68 Barracuda Formula S 340