Grizzly, trans man, I’ll re-outline my situation and not leave anything out this time. I bought a 2001 2WD 5.9 SLT for very cheap because it had transmission issues and CTM issue . The CTM and the transmission are separate issues.

The headlights the interior & dash lights flickered and unison about 10 to 12 minutes after the truck was started, the door locks stop working as well and the alarm would go off randomly when I would open the driver door. I did a lot of troubleshooting and researching, and my problem Turned out to be a very very common problem, all those circuits run through the ‘central timing module’ CTM (or ‘body control module’ BCM As Subaru calls it apparently). I pulled mine out of the drivers side kick panel, looked up the part number on eBay, and bought a used one for $100. Installed the new CTM and problem solved.

When you get in the Durango and turn it on, the check engine light as well as the ABS light and the brake light on the dash Illuminate immediately. From a full stop the Durango, in D, starts out gutless and weak and feels like it’s starting out in 3rd gear. It stays in 3rd and wont shift or kick down into 2nd or 1st, and doesn’t go into Overdrive either. The ‘OD Off’ button and light function normally but the button doesn’t change anything. You can move the shift lever into 2 and It feels like the transmission manually shifts into 2nd because you get a lot more power instantly. Moving the shift lever into 1 doesn’t do anything, it wouldn’t go into 1st gear ever. So basically when put into D, it went straight into what feels like 3rd Gear, and it stays there never downshifting or going into overdrive.

It threw out a variety of transmission codes as you can see from looking through my post and they weren’t always the same and sometimes changed when the battery cable was removed or when I manually erase the codes with my code reader. There were about six total codes that it would cycle through, like it could make up its mind which problems it had. . The codes were P1765 P1764 P0720 P0743 P0753 And once a random eve app purge canister code P0441.

I switched the trans relay to a known good one with no change. I bought a new battery because the original was too old anyways, no change. I noticed that the center connector on the PCM Had a pink wire that had been cut and jumped with a single wire that went across the engine bay and over to the relay/fuse box where the pink wire there had been cut and the wire attached to the jumper. I have no idea what that is for yet.

I peeled back the sheathing and tape on every wire connector on the trans and everywhere else in that area including the O2 sensors and I peeled them back as far up the side of the transmission as I could squeeze my hands. There were no Frayed or broken wires that I could find. The circular connector on the trans had snapped some plastic on the connector on the transom had. But there were no missing or bent prongs I could feel.

I ordered The governor pressure service kit for 2000 and up from Cascade transmission parts and bought plenty of new Castrol ATF+4 .I Disconnected the battery, then dropped the pan and the fluid was in great condition and there was barely any grime in the pan or on the magnet. I installed the new parts and gaskets and filled it back up with new tranny fluid and reconnected the battery. Within 10 seconds of starting the truck the check engine light came back on. Again the codes come back and sometimes if deleted it changes which codes it wants to give me but still draws from the same six codes. Actually there are two that remain on every time and those are P1765 and P0743. There was no change in drivability except now I can manually shift between all three gears .

So now I’m on the hunt for broken or shorted wires and trying to trace the wires from the transmission connector back up to the relay‘s and PCM. I am also placing my PCM as suspect Due to the pink wire being hacked, and the ABS and brake warning light that are always on which I have read are Signs of a PCM replacement that wasn’t flashed properly with the vin. I have also ordered a new TCC/OD solenoid group with harness for 2000 and up from Cascade. That may fix or help but even if it doesn’t I didn’t mind purchasing it because the Durango so cheap to begin with and it gives me a little peace of mind knowing that once I Install these parts it will pretty much rule out those components as the culprits.