I remember several years ago talking to David Vizard (who lives here in Charlotte) and one thing we both agree on is that Velocity AND Flow are critical to maximizing torque and horsepower, particularly when you consider the slight 'supercharging' or "packing' force that occurs when the intake valve is still open while the piston is coming back up the cylinder after passing BDC. If you still fill the hole as the swept volume is Decreasing...well that my friends is where the magic really happens in terms of high RPM power output. Too small or too low a velocity ports can't achieve this.

To me the ultimate street/strip BBW head might be the Chapman MW ports combined with the TF chamber and plug placement.

And of course "real world" torque is also as much dependent on intake flow as it is the port itself, To me looking at just the port is kinda moot, you have to consider the whole intake tract from the plenum to the valve, again too big is a low/mid torque/response killer, too small is a high RPM HP killer (choke point). But the intake alone has a huge impact on how a motor is going to hit on the dyno or on the street. The intake has to outflow the port or really the flowbench numbers for the port itself are kinda moot. And lets not even go into how the fuel mass in suspension passes through the port. at 12.5 A/F ratio on a 360 cfm port flow you are flowing roughly (air and fuel obviously have different flow cooefficients) a rate of 28.8 CFM of solid fuel (which displaces/subtracts from the same volume of bench Air flow). To me port flow in a poppet valve engine needs to be viewed as a Window (opening and shutting over a fixed time) which is the average sum/mean flow from all the effective lift points....peak flow is only one point of measure.

Sorry guys...my second cup of coffe was kicking in, don't mean to ramble!

Last edited by Streetwize; 12/10/17 01:28 PM.

WIZE

World's Quickest Diahatsu Rocky (??) 414" Stroker Small block Mopar Powered. 10.84 @ 123...and gettin' quicker!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mWzLma3YGI

In Car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjXcf95e6v0