Originally Posted By DARTH V8R
Originally Posted By jcc
The cowl intake solution was a clever successful later work around.

According to Chevrolet, they couldn't figure out why there Chevrolets were slowing down as the race wore on and the Pontiacs were faster with 25 less horsepower. It was determined that the Pontiacs engine bays were running 20-30* cooler than the Chevrolets. After some experimentation at Daytona speedweek, the NASCAR cowl induction was born.

Just so happens Popular Hot Rodding magazine did a test with a NASCAR style cowl induction:

"One thing to keep in mind is that this sort of induction doesn’t really offer any true ram effect, and, in fact, most ram-air-style systems don’t either until very high speeds—and even then the pressure increase is pretty negligible. Since cooler air is denser air, and denser air makes more power, the real goal is to provide the engine with an easy source of the coolest air possible."

I make a real concerted effort to not let these things go personal.

But The Pontiac/Chevrolet tidbit above has me raising my eyebrows, again, because I have never heard that explanation before, there is no obvious explanation for his conclusion, no quoted source/reference, the author who is connecting the dots, and the author's track record here on this thread, already connecting unrelated dots. Just my opinion before it gets written in stone.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.